Saturday, April 23, 2011

Guest Speaker

On Thursday in class we had Sridhar Krishnaswami come speak to our class. He is a journalist from the Indian equivalent to the New York Times, The Hindu. He has worked in lots of different places as a corespondent for the paper, including Washington D.C. Krishnaswami was in New York City of the time of the 9/11 bombing and was the only Indian journalist there to report. He told us that NSA jammed the phone lines, but won't admit to it, so they could track what people were talking about online.

When asked about blogging he said that he feels that it has made journalists lazy since they don't have ti search as hard when they can just find it online. I agree with this. Looking online, you can find blogs that have just cut and pasted things from other people, sometimes they are attributed, most often not.

When talking about student life he told us "When you travel you learn, sitting here with a text book, you learn nothing."

I have to agree with this also. I will be graduating in two short semesters, and I have no idea what I am going to do. School has not prepared me for the outside world, but in traveling I have done, I feel I have learned things. I also think traveling outside of the US is important so we can appreciate the things we have and also understand life.

No comments:

Post a Comment