Thursday, March 3, 2011

English muffins

Last month during the snow storms I spent three days stuck in my apartment with no hopes of survival. That is, until old man garden gnome came and rescued me to go to Target.

The first day of the snow storm, I made homemade english muffins.

The process was really therapeutic. From the mixing and the heating to the rolling and cutting. I like making homemade bread but had yet to attempt English Muffins.

I used a mixture of half white and half wheat flour. The texture of these were softer than that of store bought ones. They almost seemed to melt in your mouth, even more so when toasted and topped with butter and my Grandpas sand plum jam.

An interesting thing about these is that you let them rise and then cook them in a skillet instead of the oven.

This recipe has now been added to my arsenal of things I can make when zombies take over and there are no more grocery stores.

11 comments:

  1. I would love if you brought these! Reading about the yummy food is almost torturous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YO!! when are you gonna cook for meeee?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Plum jam? Isn't that the name of some band? Hey Hillin, do you know of any band named Plum Jam?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love english muffins and I bet homemade ones are even better. I would probably pay you to make some for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Jam is an album by Ai Ootsuka? Wait why am I commenting on Cody's post instead of Allison's blog? Too late to turn back, must press submit button, must correctly type nonsense...

    ReplyDelete
  6. English muffins are great. I haven't had 'em in a while, except for that McMuffin i had a few months ago

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I've ever had English Muffins?? I want some.
    Love your posts! And it doesn't help to read these when I'm hungry...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would like a mushroom risotto. I have faith in you, you can do this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never had an english muffin, but they sound very good. :)

    ReplyDelete