Thursday, March 31, 2011

Organic and Homemade food

One question I get a lot from people my age is why I cook so much. They want to know why I don't just get fast food all the time and what is the point of spending more time when it could take 5 minutes at a drive through.

The answer, I simply love cooking and want to take care of my body without putting a bunch of preservatives in it. I have a food philosophy of eating and choosing food that has passed through the least amount of hands possible to get to me. Therefore cooking my own stuff from scratch makes the most sense to me.

In the US right now there is an epidemic of food allergies, asthma and autism in children. These are being linked to food that is genetically altered and engineered and also pesticide use in the growing of crops. Some corn that is being used in food products right now was originally created to feed cows. I am no where near wanting to have children and don't know whether I ever will be, but starting healthy habits is easier sooner rather than later.

The time it takes to make something at home is often quicker and easier for me than it would be to go out and get something. I take forever to decide where I want to go, and then once there I can't decide what I want to eat. If I am at home I can just grab stuff from my pantry and refrigerator and see what happens. Usually the results are tasty, and I am eating cheaper and healthier than I would be out. 

1 comment:

  1. April is National Grilled Cheese Month. I expect detailed coverage.

    ReplyDelete